Posts Tagged ‘Restore failed for Server’

h1

Annoying DB Restore Error

May 30, 2012

The other day I was at a client site, and I was trying to set up my development environment to begin working on some SSIS packages.  I was on the next to last restore of 12 separate DB (all told, over 500GB), when the restore failed.  Up to this point I hadn’t had any issues at all.  Then this sucker popped up:

 

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
——————————
Restore failed for Server.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1600.1+((KJ_RTM).100402-1539+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText]&EvtID=Restore+Server&LinkId=20476
——————————
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: File ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\SomeNewDB.mdf’ is claimed by ‘SomeNewDB_UserData'(3) and ‘SomeNewDB_Primary'(1). The WITH MOVE clause can be used to relocate one or more files. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1600.1+((KJ_RTM).100402-1539+)&LinkId=20476
——————————
BUTTONS:
OK

The link provided in the first part of the message led absolutely nowhere, and the second one wasn’t much help either.  Strangely enough I read the error message a few times, and for once I was able to determine what the problem was.  Here was the key to the error message:  File ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\ SomeNewDB.mdf’ is claimed by ‘SomeNewDB_UserData'(3) and ‘SomeNewDB_Primary'(1).

So what I did was script out the restore and discovered that I was trying to use the .mdf file twice.

RESTORE DATABASE [SomeNewDB]

FROM DISK = N’C:\SQLBackup\SomeNewDB.bak’

WITH FILE = 1,

MOVE N’SomeNewDB_Primary’

TO N’C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\SomeNewDB.mdf’,

MOVE N’SomeNewDB_UserData’

TO N’C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\SomeNewDB.mdf’,

MOVE N’SomeNewDB_Log’

TO N’C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\SomeNewDB_1.ldf’,

NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 10

GO

 

So I changed the second file to .ndf and ran the script and it seemed to work.

RESTORE DATABASE [SomeNewDB]

FROM DISK = N’C:\SQLBackup\SomeNewDB.bak’

WITH FILE = 1,

MOVE N’SomeNewDB_Primary’

TO N’C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\SomeNewDB.mdf’,

MOVE N’SomeNewDB_UserData’

TO N’C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\SomeNewDB.ndf’,

MOVE N’SomeNewDB_Log’

TO N’C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\SomeNewDB_1.ldf’,

NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 10

GO

So if you ever run into that problem make sure your not trying to reference the .mdf file twice inside your restore statement.

Advertisements